[meteorite-list] Re: "Tucson Ring" Scam

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 29 20:07:16 2006

> You know, with all the campos and beer flying around Tucson during
> Feburary, there is a chance that someone lost a campo off the roof of
> their car or something like that.

Dear Martin:

Thanks for that. I thought it a good idea to put this info out there
for you all to consider.

In all honesty, I wondered the same kind of thing. I told the lady it
looked like a Campo, and was it possible that they'd picked up
something at the Gem Show and got it confused with one of their own
finds (trying to be diplomatic).

And then I considered the possibility that a hunter could have taken a
Campo out to calibrate her/his detector and forgotten it, or lost it
(wouldn't be a very good hunter). Was it our friend Rob Matson who
found a perfectly polished stone meteorite slice on one of his dry lake
bed hunts? Now that's weird.

Personally, I prefer your explanation : )

Regards,

Geoff N.
www.aerolite.org