[meteorite-list] re: Loud Blast, Red Streaks in Sky Over Ohio

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 21 12:06:12 2006

This stream is headed back our way in 2022, possibly
earlier depending on the effects of Jupiter's gravity
on it.

1916 - Tau Herculids first observed?
1918, June 3-7 - 4 very slow "theta coronids" from a
radiant of ra=230 deg, decl=+34 deg.

1930 - discovery 1930 May 31 perigeos
then lost - Orbit changes under Jupiter gravity,
realized 1973 by Russians

1952
1953 approach to within 0.9 au of Jupiter
1965 approach to within 0.25 au of Jupiter
1974 mid-March 1974 perihelion - perigeos not close
1979 March 19 perigeos - recovered
1985-1986 - lost
1990 April 17 perigeos - found
1995 October 17 perigeos - fragments
2001 January 27 periheleon
2006

TAU HERCULID BOLIDES?

Generally appear to have occured 1 month after
perigeos pass, about 1 month before periheleon

Very Hard to sort out - an Apollo may be coming in at
the same time
AF TAU HERCULID FIREBALL DATA HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN FROM
PUBLIC.

1916 - Tau Herculids first observed?

ONLY THE YEARS 1930, 1941, 1946, 1952, 2022 AND 2049
ARE EXPECTED TO SEE APPRECIABLE ACTIVITY
Wiegart and Brown COMPUTER MODEL

BUT

1930, 10 AUGUST = May 31 perigeos + 70 days - MISS AT
RIO CURACA IN JUNGLE OF BRAZIL
TYPE OF IMPACTOR: COMET strongly suspected
"Three great meteors, falling in Brazil, fired and
depopulated hundreds of miles of jungle".
Thought to be Perseid
http://www.homestead.com/wintersteel/files/Articles/More_Tunguskas.htm
 Leonid Kulik, 1931; N.Vasilyev & G.V. Andreev, 1989;
  Mark Bailey, D.J.Markham, S. Massai, J.E. Scriven,
1995;
  Duncan Steel, 1995
http://www.meteor.co.nz/feb96_2.html
http://www.anomalist.com/reports/tunguska.html - Mark
Bailey, 1995; Patrick
Huyghe, 1996

1935, 11 DECEMBER - MISS IN RUPUNUNI REGION OF BRITISH
GUYANA
http://www.homestead.com/wintersteel/files/Articles/More_Tunguskas.htm
TYPE OF IMPACTOR: UNKNOWN, but one capable of creating
airburst
Serge A. Korff, 1935 Duncan Steel, 1995

1941 NININGER H.H. (1942):
GREAT METEOR OF 1941 JUNE 28 (FIREBALL)
Popular Astronomy 50, 43-47

1946 BUSCOMBE W. (1947):
THE DETONATING FIREBALL OF 1946, JUNE 1-2
J. Roy Astron. Soc. Canada 41, 281-289

BUSCOMBE W. (1947):
THE ALBERTA TWILIGHT METEOR OF 1946, OCTOBER 21
(FIREBALL)
JRASC 41, 347-354

1952 - nothing - Brown, Weigart calc

1966 NO - the great fireball of April 25, 1966,
occurred 39 years ago almost to the day from
last week's event. Seen by thousands from Washington,
D.C., to eastern Canada, it was the most
widely observed and photographed fireball of its time.

1968 October - dry, nothing much

1972 NO - wrong parent body
1972 - MISS IN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC(?)
http://www.llnl.gov/planetary/pdfs/Threat/02-Nemtchinov.pdf

http://www.llnl.gov/planetary/pdfs/Threat/02-Boslough.pdf

10 AUGUST, 1972 CE - MISS BY GREAT DAYLIGHT FIREBALL?
TYPE OF IMPACTOR: COMET strongly suspected
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/Images/impact-teton.jpg
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/meteores-anomalies2.htm
(I have not found on the internet as an mpeg file the
very impressive movie of
this near miss, and I do not know if anyone has
calculated when this object will
return to intercept the Earth.)
1972 BEST:
http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/1972.html - KRONK
1000 metric tons - 1,000,000 metric tons
14 Kt estimated impact energy at 1000 metric tons

1974, mid-March perihelion
1974 March 03, 00:47 UT - Observer: John Deans.-
Location: Capel St. Mary.
Magnitude: unsure, but brighter than first magnitude.
Track: from approx 50?? altitude in the north-west to
approx 20?? altitude in the west-north-west.
Colour: intense white colour.
Note: this fireball appeared approximately three
minutes after the reappearance of Saturn from a lunar
occultation.

1979 March 19 perigeos -
THE GREAT VALDOSTA, GEORGIA FIREBALL of April 12, 1979

1984, August
CAPRICORNIDE VAN 29 JULI 1984?

1984 April 23, 20:27 UT?
Report: Alan Smith, image recorded on photograph taken
by all-sky camera (image below).
Location: West Ipswich.
Magnitude: -14.
10km east of the coast at Aldeburgh at an
altitude of 125km and proceeded due north ending at an
altitude of 83km some 10km east of the
coast at Hemsby (approximate figures). Bob McNaught of
the Hewitt Camera Group at the Royal
Greenwich Observatory, Herstmonceux also recorded an
image of the fireball, low down near the
north-eastern horizon, and he estimated the track by
combining data from the two observations.
(A station in Holland also observed the fireball.)
Note: the fireball was widely observed in the South of
England.

1990 April 17 perigeos - A METEORITE that hit a house
in the Netherlands probably came from an
asteroid called Midas. Two months ago, the meteorite
smashed through the roof of a house in the
town of Enschede (This Week, 21 April).

In the Netherlands, the meteorite is called the
'Glanerbrug' - rare type of chondrite
 - marco langbroek's recoverd orbit near to SW3

1995 October perigeoos pass - series of November
fireballs - Japan, Spain, Colorado Springs

2001 'Flaming meteor' sparked 2-day hunt for plane
crash - The Mirror (United Kingddom)
February 15, 2001 The FIREBALL which sparked a major
search operation for a crashed plane may
have been a meteor, it was learned yesterday.
Helicopters, troops, police and ambulance crews
were mobilised after locals saw the flames and smoke
streaking across the sky near the border.
It was feared that a light aircraft had gone down. But
a two-day search operation was called
off last night as speculation grew it was an
extra-terrestrial rock.
also S. Africa 2/2/01
Jan. 25/2001 fireball - Volunteers who run the
rooftop observatory at the University of
Alberta's physics building saw the meteor

2006
QUEENSLAND 5/18/2006 - a fridge hurtling through the
atmosphere at 57,000km/h

http://www.northernstar.com.au/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3684873&thesection=localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=
COMET DEBRIS TURNS ON A SPECTACULAR DISPLAY IN NIGHT
SKY By Will Jackson

EVER wanted to know what a fridge hurtling through the
atmosphere at 57,000km/h looks like? Well, even if you
haven't, watch the skies tonight and you might be able
to see. The huge fireball that swooped across the sky
about 6.20pm on Tuesday was actually a refrigerator
sized hunk of comet, astronomer ANDRE CLAYDON said
yesterday. The Earth is passing through
debris left by Comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann which
has broken up into about 64 pieces, said the DIRECTOR
OF OBSERVATION AT THE SPRINGBROOK OBSERVATORY near the
Gold Coast.

Some of these pieces were hitting the atmosphere and
would continue to create a spectacular light show for
another five days. However, they were unlikely to be
quite as incredible as Tuesday night's meteor, which
caused quite a stir across the region. A police
spokeswoman said it was seen travelling west as far
inland as Warwick in Queensland. She said a Warwick
farmer alerted police about 6.30 pm of what he thought
was a fireball from a plane crashing on his property.
However, a search of the area found nothing.
Police were then inundated by sightings of a 'green
ball of light'.

Andre said the meteor shower would have appeared much
closer than it actually was. "As it comes in through
our atmosphere we get a magnification effect, so it
always looks a lot closer, but it is probably 60 to 70
km inside our atmosphere," he said. "I had a number
of phone calls specifically from the eastern part of
Australia regarding a meteor shower that has come
through and broken up into a few pieces."

GRAND FORKS, N.D. 6-1-06 DULUTH-WINNEPEG
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/14760933.htm
NORTHERN MINNESOTA: Fire in the sky By Steve Kuchera
Duluth News Tribune

A bright fireball that blazed over parts of the region
on Friday night was a once-in-a-lifetime
sighting.

The mysterious light seen over the Northland on Friday
night was an especially bright meteor
seen in at least two states and Canada. "Anyone who
saw it should count themselves as lucky
They are probably not going to see another one like
that in their lifetime," Scott Young said.

YOUNG IS AN ASTRONOMER and manager of the planetarium
and science gallery at the MANITOBA
MUSEUM IN WINNIPEG. The museum is collecting reports
of sightings of Friday's fireball,
which traveled FROM SOUTH TO NORTH over the Northland
about 11:35 P.M. FRIDAY. "We have a
couple hundred e-mails, and my receptionist is taking
phone calls as quick as they come in,"
Young said. "I'm sure thousands of people saw it,
because it went right over our cottage
country area."

Using information from witnesses and the mathematical
process of triangulation, the museum
hopes to determine the fireball's exact path. "That
intersects the ground at some point, and
that's where you go look for pieces," Young said. If
the museum is able to triangulate the
fireball's path, it will publish the results so
residents can look for its remains. Young
believes it likely that parts of the fireball survived
their fiery plunge. "There was a sonic
boom heard over the Lake of the Woods area, and that
generally means that it has penetrated
very low into the atmosphere," he said. "If it does
that, then generally pieces can survive."

According to NASA, as many as 4 billion meteors enter
the Earth's atmosphere every day, many
at speeds about 45 miles per second. Friction with the
air causes them to glow. Most meteors
are just specks of dust that burn up in a brilliant
streak of light. Fireballs are different.
They can weigh pounds -- large enough to illuminate a
long path through the sky. Some fireballs
called bolides, explode with a loud, thunderous sound.

Friday's fireball broke into several pieces, witnesses
said. "IT BROKE UP INTO TWO PIECES --
ONE BIG BALL AND ONE LITTLE BALL," said Tim Leseman of
Eveleth. Many people who saw Friday's
fireball compared it to fireworks traveling
horizontally rather than vertically. From any spot,
it was visible for as long as 15 seconds.
"Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have been enough
time for anyone to take a picture," Young said.

The fireball was seen from places as far afield as
Brandon, Manitoba (more than 100 miles west
of Winnipeg), northwestern Lake of the Woods (where it
appeared to pass directly overhead), Orr,
Eveleth, Duluth, the Lake Mille Lacs area and Danbury,
Wis. "Everyone generally thinks it was
just over the trees or just over the hills, but when a
meteor like this is actually visible,
it's usually 20 to 40 kilometers (12 to 25 miles)
above the Earth," Young said. "It's way, way
up there."

A meteor's chemical makeup and temperature determine
what color its glow will be. Many
witnesses described Friday's fireball as BEING GREEN
OR BLUISH-GREEN IN COLOR (common for a
stony meteor), turning to red near the end of its
flight.Chris Magney of Duluth saw the
fireball as he walked in the University of Minnesota
Duluth area. "I just looked up, and right
there in front of me I saw what looked like a
firework," he said. "It was giving off some kind
of trail. It wasn't an evenly spaced trail. It was
kind of sparking off parts. It looked to be
kind of bluish-green."

The fireball was larger than past meteors he's seen.
"This was probably one-eighth or one-tenth
the size of the moon -- much larger than any
background star," he said. "Just because of the
light intensity it must have been pretty hot, whatever
it was. It was moving as fast as the
shooting stars I've seen."

He watched as it appeared to follow an arc, vanishing
over the northwestern horizon. Leseman
was letting his dog out when he happened to look up to
the west as the fireball blazed past. It
was in sight for perhaps 10 seconds. "It was the size
of the moon and it was moving slowly from
south to north," he said. "It was very bright with a
long tail, and it looked like it was
rolling as if it was burning up.... I got a huge chill
watching it."

RECORD METEORITE HIT NORWAY
Nina L??demel Monday, June 12
WEDENESDAY, JUNE 7 - AT TAU HERCULID PEAK

As Wednesday morning dawned, northern Norway was hit
with an impact comparable to the atomic bomb used on
Hiroshima.

Peter Bruvold witnessed the meteorite streaking across
the night sky.

The map shows the meteorite's direction of fall (the
arrow) and the possible impact area over
Troms and Finnmark counties. At around 2:05 a.m. on
Wednesday, residents of the northern part
of Troms and the western areas of Finnmark could
clearly see a ball of fire taking several
seconds to travel across the sky.

A few minutes later an impact could be heard and
GEOPHYSICS AND SEISMOLOGY RESEARCH FOUNDATION
NORSAR REGISTERED A POWERFUL SOUND AND SEISMIC
DISTURBANCES AT 02:13.25 A.M. AT THEIR STATION
IN KARASJOK.

Farmer Peter Bruvold was out on his farm in Lyngseidet
with a camera because his mare Virika
was about to foal for the first time. "I saw a
brilliant flash of light in the sky, and this
became a light with a tail of smoke," Bruvold told
Aftenposten. He photographed the object
and then continued to tend to his animals when he
heard an enormous crash. "I heard the bang
seven minutes later. IT SOUNDED LIKE WHEN YOU SET OFF
A SOLID CHARGE OF DYNAMITE A KILOMETER
(0.62 MILES) AWAY," Bruvold said.

Astronomers were excited by the news. "There were
ground tremors, a house shook and a curtain
was blown into the house," Norway's best known
astronomer Knut J??rgen R??ed ??degaard told
Aftenposten.no. R??ed ??degaard said the meteorite was
visible to an area of several hundred
kilometers despite the brightness of the midnight
sunlit summer sky. The meteorite hit a
mountainside in Reisadalen in North Troms. "This is
simply exceptional. I cannot imagine that
we have had such a powerful meteorite impact in Norway
in modern times. If the meteorite was
as large as it seems to have been, we can compare it
to the Hiroshima bomb. Of course the
meteorite is not radioactive, but in explosive force
we may be able to compare it to the
(atomic) bomb," R??ed ??degaard said.

The astronomer believes the meteorite was a giant rock
and probably the largest known to have
struck Norway. "The record was the Alta meteorite that
landed in 1904. That one was 90 kilos
(198 lbs) but we think the meteorite that landed
Wednesday was considerably larger," R??ed
??degaard said, and urged members of the public who
saw the object or may have found remnants
to contact the Institute of Astrophysics.

--- Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl>