[meteorite-list] Loud Blast, Red Streaks in Sky Over Ohio

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 20 21:25:50 2006

http://www.timesreporter.com/index.php?ID=55330&r=0

Boom lowered on Valley: Loud blast, red streaks in sky probably a
meteor, say experts

By ZACH LINT
Times-Reporter
June 20, 2006

Residents of the Tuscarawas Valley who heard a deafening boom about
12:40 a.m. Monday and stepped outside likely saw what one person
described as "a marvelous fireball with red streaks in the sky."

Bob Reed, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in
Pittsburgh, said it probably was a meteor falling through the atmosphere.

"We did receive one call from (Sky Warn) people who were basically
wondering what was causing it," he said. "A meteor is the best
explanation we can come up with at this point."

Sky Warn participants help identify unusual weather patterns and spot
storms in their communities, reporting them to the National Weather Service.

Tuscarawas County Sheriff Lt. Lon McEnroe said a number of calls were
fielded by area law enforcement agencies about 12:45 a.m.

"They told us Stark and Wayne counties all had reports of it, too," he said.

Dispatchers from the county's 911 center contacted Air Traffic Command
in Washington, D.C., to inquire about the event. The command confirmed
that Cleveland's control center was checking into a meteor shower that
occurred within its air space.

McEnroe said individual calls ranged from "Did we just get bombed?" to
"It might be a space shuttle."

Numerous callers reported the large red fireball. Several said their
homes shook.

New Philadelphia police said they received reports from several callers
on N. Broadway, Miller Ave. NW and Wabash Ave. NW, who witnessed the
fireball or heard the boom. An E. High Ave. woman described it as "a
blue light that lit up the sky and went down."

Police in Dover said multiple callers reported they heard a loud bang
and something rattled their windows. Officers checked all over the city
and could not find the source of the noise but noted there were no power
outages anywhere.