[meteorite-list] Norway Meteorite Impact Site Believed to be Found

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 14 10:19:21 2006

Hi, Darren

    I went to a website that says it will translate
whole websites from Norwegian to English:
http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran?type=url&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro.uio.no%2Fita%2Fnyheter%2Fildkule06%2Fildkule06.html&text=&from=nor&to=eng

Here's the translated result:

> [...]
> We assembles now in mainly feasible communicating to analyzed how the
> object able have fell down.
> We am inviting one and all has was observing the object or has found
> looked like able be due brick, at to announce at at Astrofysisk institutt
> at epic knutjo_at_astro.uio.no ( for choice) or at phone 992 77 172. If so
> becomes bumper p?gang able facts get any interval to answer epic.
> NORWEGIAN recorded a able-bodied beep class. 02.13.25 at her filling
> station in Karasjok. Beep arrived from a course a bit south for trace.
> Facts became also was observing a bit seismisk activity.
> [Pic of seismic traces deleted]
> Observations at Norwegian filling station in Karasjok in
> Finnmark. On top discern we low frequency buzzer, at the bottom seismiske
> manifestation
> The measuring and graph: NORWEGIAN
> ENORMOUS Energy
> Meteorsteiner comes in in Earth ambience along with enormous pace,
> certainly around or above 100 000 km/ the connexion. Brick has as mighty
> bumper bevegelsesenergi and becomes able-bodied heated at luftmotstanden
> at her completed by atmosphere. Surface comes certainly up in 5000 degrees
> and vapor. This causing lysfenomenet we connoisseur paternal meter sett at
> salver.
> A little particles burning absolutely up, but certainly bigger they
> are certainly further down cope they to call to and certainly severe
> brightens they. If they are saw big that they brightens at least 100
> multiplication severe than fullm?nen, able they survive down at salver so
> that we able hit them as meteoritter.
> IN Norway is it hitherto found 13 meteoritter. They hitherto lastly
> became found in Gloppen commune in Nordfjord in 2001 and the greatest
> weighted approx 90 lb. It became found in Finnmark in 1904.
> The object as am much more than a meter big becomes brake only very
> little atmosphere and able adopt salver along with saw bumper energy that
> they able brew a bush. Energy at a meter becomes allocated above ahigh
> reach as brick brake up. If brick explodes, able factscatch on additional
> companies energifrigj?ring as able brew blast as as salver.
> Meteorsteiner am however no matter radioactive or at other methods
> danger, butit is the big for research at these that they becomes laying
> mainly feasible unmoved.
> Beep and blast at the landing became recorded also at m?letasjoner in
> Surgeon and Lule? in Sweden. IN Surgeon becomes lydpulsen denoted as
> "mycket imposing
> Lydpulsen was observing at Surgeon. Times am in GMT
> Lydpulsen was observing at Lule?. Times am in GMT
> [Map of station deleted]
> Course at buzzer was observing at Norwegian filling station in
> Karasjok
> Gauging and illustration: NORWEGIAN
> [Other fireball pic deleted]
> This picture by an abnormal able-bodied meter became grabbed in
> 1998. Nevertheless stayed ildkulen night at 07.06 at least 1000

    OK!

     Pretty hilarious stuff, some of it. But it translates
"lavfrekvent lydsignal" as "low frequency buzzer" and from
other uses in the article I believe "lyd" is sound or noise,
buzz or hum or roar, something like that.

    Other oddities. "able-bodied" is "kraftig" which the
Norwegian dictionary says is "great, heartfelt, hearty,
heavy-set, powerful, prosperous, robust, strong, sturdy,
thriving, tough, vigorous..." In other words, LOUD.

    Please notice also that "a cottage roasted"!! All of a
sudden, the whole thing seems suspiciously silly... but maybe
it's the silly translation. Aha! The Norwegian dictionary
says "ristet" means "agitated, shaken, shook." Well, that
makes more sense...

    The seismic station is more than 200 km east of the impact
site. It was not under the flight path (which was west to east),
so the two minute signal is not the passage of the fireball
overhead. In fact, the impact point is as close to the
seismic station as the object got.

    As for the timing, the sound signal had to travel at the
speed of sound in air (340 m/sec) and the seismic signal
through the Earth. Presumably these are surface waves
(L-waves) which travel much faster than the speed of sound
in air, although I can't tell you how fast since their speed depends
on the density of the rock and its rigidity modulus. The timing
in the graph is not their actual timing but is displaced relative
to each other by the difference in their speed.

    Have they corrected for this and arranged the signals in
true time order? They don't say so, so I assume not. Nor can
I tell you whether this is an airburst or an impact nor how they
are distinguished from each other. The sound signal is short
and sharp; the seismic signal rumbles on. I assume the large
first cluster of seismic waves is the event and the secondary
smaller clusters are reverberations or whatever they call them.
I presume the seismic signal is relatively weak, since it is
called "a bit" of seismic activity ("del" = part, piece, slice,
component).

    If I read this right, the sound was loud, since it is mentioned
that it was heard in North Sweden as well as Norway. He also
mentions that the cottages that were "shaken" were "stout" (kraftig),
or well-built, strong, not old shacks in other words.

    I interpret "a lyn absolutely white. No matter as much as inferior to
Sun, for facts was lighting there I stood," as saying that the fireball
had an absolutely white light no less bright than the Sun! Since the
Sun has an apparent magnitude of -26.73, this would be one hell
of a fireball! I find references on the internet to formulas relating
fireball
magnitude to meteoroid size, but not the formulas themselves. However,
meteor velocities are high, while this object is unlikely to have so speedy.

    Perhaps Chris or Marco could tell us what size of object would
produce a -25 or -26 magnitude fireball? That would be useful...
However, there is one valid generalization you could make
about a -26 magnitude fireball: BIG.

Sterling K. Webb