[meteorite-list] Metallic Rock Baffles Experts

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 31 22:39:49 2006

Hi,

    Can you tell that yesterday it was 100.4 F.
(previous record 98 F.) and today it's 102 F
(previous record 93 F.) with 94% humidity?
A nice day to sit in front of the computer at
a balmy 82 F (with 40% humidity) and worry
about odd metal rocks probably not from
space...

    Meteorite? No way!

    Is this another contest? If so, I vote for
Molybdenum. Yup, Molly Be Damned gets
my vote!

    Here's the photo:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/localnews/photo/18667900_ddn073006mysteriousrocksp2.html

    This is naturally occuring molybdenum ore:
http://www.edzone.net/~tzielask/molybdenum_-_no_label.jpg

    Molybdenum metal in two states of fusion:
http://www.krdnet.com/EBAY/Galleries/october/DSCF2836.JPG
It can be quite granular.

    Polished molybdenite:
http://www.mii.org/Minerals/photomoly.html