[meteorite-list] Southern Delta Aquarids METEOR SHOWER

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 30 17:50:40 2006

Thanks for all the emails. I got 26 private emails
from this posting so please forgive me for not giving
everybody a personal reply but thanks for all the
comments as they were all helpful and nice.
At least here in the northern part of New Zealands
north island we are definately getting more than one a
minute. I was getting that at 11PM and you would
expect more after midnight. There are two reports of
fireballs also.
Here is a cool photo of a meteor trail taken by one of
the members of the astrononomy club list here in New
Zealand:
http://www.darknights.biz/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=203&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
I have 3 or 4 forwarded reports listed here below. The
first one is the photographer of the above photo. The
last report talking about the fireball is possibly the
most exciting. That is at the observatory where I was
a couple nights ago. I hope to get out observing again
before the meteors all go away but given the extensive
rainfall, life in New Zealand is hard for astronomers.
Three Forwarded reports from local amature astronomers
below:
Cheers
DEAN

JD and I were both up the wee small hours of this
morning doing a meteor watch (southern delta
aquarids). Between 4.15am, and 5.15am we saw nearly a
meteor a minute. I dunno what the final count was - JD
is
analysing the data on his tape recorder. There were a
few nice bright meteors (mainly sporadics) or possibly
from another radiant below the horizon, but the
majority were faint and fast (~mag 4, last maybe 1/4
1/2 a second).
I did manage to photograph 4 of them (3x shower, 1x
sporadic) but I have yet to process the images. I used
3200iso, and there was a bit of high cloud wafting
through which makes combining a bit tricky as I can't
use a simple "add maximum" type command due to the
high levels of noise and background cloud.
It was a nice change from either staring down the
eyepiece, or at the LCD screen. There were also a
number of bright meteors earlier in the evening as
well - one was a nice bright fireball I even saw as I
was
driving.
Keep Looking Up,
John Burt
Yes, we sure saw a few meteors from the comfort of the
spa pool!
In one hour we saw 66 in total (36 Southern Delta
Aquarid and 30 sporadic). At one stage we saw five
meteors in one minute (alas, nothing like the
100-200,000 meteors a minute during the 1966 Leonid
peak!). The average shower meteor was mag 3.3, 0.49
seconds in duration, and 6.6 degrees long.
JD and I were both up the wee small hours of this
morning doing a meteor watch (southern delta
aquarids). Between 4.15am, and 5.15am we saw nearly a
meteor a minute. I dunno what the final count was - JD
is
analysing the data on his tape recorder. There were a
few nice bright meteors (mainly sporadics) or possibly
from another radiant below the horizon, but the
majority were faint and fast (~mag 4, last maybe 1/4
1/2 a second).
Friday evening sure was a fireball fiesta; my
flatmates saw two on the way to the mountain and we
saw one up at Kumeu. Which shower would have caused
those?
Guy