[meteorite-list] Southern Delta Aquarids METEOR SHOWER

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 30 13:01:27 2006

Larry wrote: "One a minute is great!!"

Dean had written:

"I saw my first meteor shower last night*
 at kumue observatory in Auckland ..."

* => Friday, July 28 or Saturday, July 29

Dean had also written:

"we were getting more than one a minute ..."

Hi Larry, Dean, and List,

Dean, you were watching right close to the maximum of this lesser
shower, which, by the way has two broad peaks*, the strongest occurring
around the time you were watching.

* ... and, consequently, two radiants:

Radiant 1: near Delta Aquarii
Radiant 2: near the "Water Jar" configuration

But, as I said before, it is one of the lesser showers with
a ZHR (zenithal hourly rate) of only 20 meteors anyway.

The ZHR is the number seen by an experienced observer when the radiant
(the point in the sky from which these meteors seem to emanate) is at
the zenith and 6.5-magnitude stars are easily visible.

Usually an observer can expect to see one Delta Aquarid every two
or three minutes. That's why Larry wrote: "One a minute is great!!"

Best wishes from tropical
and stifling hot Germany,

Bernd