[meteorite-list] Ebay is ripping everybody off at least once! (OT)

From: Johnny Rieben <johnny_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 29 17:35:47 2006

Hello Met-List members,

It saddens me to inform you all of a nefarious problem with eBay.
The majority of you have probably sold items on eBay before and have had
both success and failure. But did you ever wonder why certain sales fail so
miserably? I have come across something that many of you are probably not
aware of and it involves the eBay search function. I have had several very
bad
auctions on ebay where more than half of the items do not sell. I just found
out
today by doing the search functions myself that these items could be found
NOWHERE!!! This is not the first time this has occurred but in the other
instances it was only a few scattered items among 50 or more listings.
I contacted eBay on their ONLY available live-help source which is the chat.
They kept repeating that there was nothing they could do and when I asked
to be connected to someone who could do something they suggested email.
As all this was going on my auctions ended and I lost LOTS of money to low
bids and no bids. Some of my specimens went for .99 and were worth 10 times
that or more.

When your items are unavailable in the search function just minutes before
ending ...that is a true CRIME! The vast majority of bidding is in those
last few
minutes!

Anyway I just thought I would warn you all of what is going on since this
isnt
the first time and I am sure it wont be the last.

If you value your time and money
then you may want to watch your auctions carefully especially in the last
few
hours/minutes. I also believe that these are in a sense 'criminal acts'
since there is
no way to recoup the losses for eBays 'problems'.

Just thought I would let you all know what monopolies like eBay are doing to
their
customers.

Best Regards,

Johnny Rieben