[meteorite-list] Re:Comet hit Britain in mid sixth century, AD?

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 12:33:25 2006

> 538(ad): Here 14 days before 1 March the sun grew dark from early morning
> until 9am.
> (Winchester Mss, Cambridge, Corpus Christie MS173, ff 1(v)32(r))
>
> 540: Here on 20 June the sun grew dark and stars appeared for well-nigh half
> a hour after 9am
> (Winchester Mss, Cambridge, Corpus Christie MS173, ff 1(v)32(r))

Both refer to "normal" solar eclipses. Note that of course if there is enough
dust in the air to block the sun, stars would never be visible.

Baileys comet impact hypothesis is quite contested, it certainly is not an
accepted main stream hypothesis. So I was quite surprised by the tone of that
newspaper clipping that suggested so. The astrophysicist supporting it are, by
the way, astrophysicists with a known fetish for impacts as a source for every
historical change.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek