[meteorite-list] 1, 430 Pound Pallasite Meteorite Joins Kansas Cosmosphere Collection

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 11 11:43:01 2006

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/state/15013424.htm

1,430 pound meteorite joins Cosmosphere collection
Associated Press
July 11, 2006

HUTCHINSON, Kan. - The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center has
added a 1,430-pound meteorite that fell in Kiowa County about
2,000 years ago to its display.

"We're placing it next to the moon rock and will affectionately
call the two our rock collection," Cosmosphere CEO and
President Jeff Ollenburger said.

The meteorite is believed to be the world's largest "oriented"
pallasite meteorite, meaning it has a nose-cone shape caused
by the way it entered the atmosphere.

Steve Arnold, 40, a former Kansan now living in Arkansas, found
the meteorite Oct. 16, buried more than 7 feet under a farm
halfway between Haviland and Greensburg.

The meteorite is 50 percent iron and 50 percent peridot crystal.

Most meteorites become rounded as they tumble and roll through
the earth's atmosphere, Arnold said. Instead of tumbling, this
meteorite maintained a constant orientation, melting one side
and not the other.

The meteorite will remain at the Cosmosphere through August,
Ollenburger said.