[meteorite-list] Japanese impact animation video

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 9 03:07:30 2006

Lee, List,

    Thanks for the correction to the Mercalli Scale.
    And, the LPL impact calculator made no mention
of Raquel! I knew there was something wrong with
that program.
    The authors of that program do say that it
performs best on "middling" events and will fail
to give an accurate representation when "extreme"
input parameters are used, and this was pretty
"extreme."
    I doubted some of the mildness of the damage
estimates when the antipodal point would still suffer
663 mph winds. I don't think ANY human structures
would stand up to that. Or humans either, when struck
by debris moving at that velocity.
    Also, because of the convergence of seismic waves
AT the antipodes, that region would probably actually
be in worse shape than somewhere in-between. The
shock at the antipodal point might be almost as severe
as the impact point! (Chaotic terrain on Mercury
antipodal to Caloris Basin.)
    One of the things that makes it so devastating
is the 47 km/sec impact velocity. I reached that figure
by calculating (roughly) the eccentricity of an object
deflected by Saturn or Jupiter into the inner system,
then sorted the short list of known orbits for (small)
objects with that eccentricity of orbit. They all
smacked the Earth at 45 to 50 km/sec.
    An impact at 20 to 25 km/sec would only be
1/4th as energetic (still bad, tho). It's the eccentricity
of a deflected Centaur that is their very worst feature.
    That, and the absence of Raquel.

Sterling K. Webb