[meteorite-list] Bidding, etc in Tucson 2006

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jan 22 17:15:13 2006

Hi All,
        I received the following question in one form or another several
times, so, here they are, I have sometimes been asked:
--
Q:  "For those of us who do go to the auction but for whatever reason
can't make it to the end.  Can we/they win an auction and pay for it
at the time and walk away with the item prior to the end of the entire
auction?"
A: The short answer is no. The reason is that I would have to hire an
additional staff person for the evening at relatively exorbitant rates.
I would then have to raise the buyer's premium to cover the
additional expense, something I don't think anyone wants.
        NOTE: the earlier you arrive, the lower your bid number. People
are checked out in the order in which they arrive. Check out is reasonably
fast and the auctions have been streamlined and end much earlier than
the first few did.
        NOTE # 2 - the person who bought my bid card last year gets the
first buy out position this year, regardless of when he arrives. Same will
be true next year.
Q: "Can anyone at the auction make a silent or absentee bid for an item that
come up after they have to leave?"