[meteorite-list] Re: a new Quiz - part 4 - solution

From: Christian Anger <christian.anger_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 01:58:15 2006

Hi Ken,

I never called this one meteoritic - when did I write that ?

I wrote it is achondritic which is true , because every terrestrial rock is achondritic because it does not contain chondrites - don't you understand jokes ?

Christian

Ing. Christian Anger
Korngasse 6
2405 Bad Deutsch-Altenburg
AUSTRIA

----- Original von: AstronomicalResearchNetwork <arn1200_at_comcast.net>:

> Hello Christian
    Question in quiz 5 you gave this picture of which I replied it looked like mica schist but you said it was meteoritic .
Am I wrong or isn't this material terrestrial material that has been melted and modified by a meteoritic impact ,
therefore the material is not meteoritic but impact ejecta .
At the point you called this material meteoritic I stopped the quiz . If you are correct the tree bark at Tunguska could be called meteoritic . I am getting off my merry go round . Sorry to bother you .
You have a nice day ......Ken Regelman Astronomical Research Network
PS Since we are all made of stardust then in some way we are all meteoritic .................searching for our origins .............

Hi all,

so here's part 4 of the new Quiz

a new the solution:

The first pic "Quiz_05" is Melt-Breccia from the Paasselka Impact Structure (Finland)

Of course an Achondrite, because it is no chondrite ;-)

but looks very similar to an Eucrite like

the second pic "Quiz_06" which is DaG 443, a highly shocked brecciated polymict Eucrite.

Some of you have been very good in guessing.

Those have been Adam Hupe, James Tobin and Ingo Herkstroeter.

Cheers,

Christian

I.M.C.A. #2673 at www.imca.cc
website: www.austromet.com