[meteorite-list] Lunar/Meteorite Samples Stolen from Car in Virginia

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jan 15 13:51:26 2006

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:00:11 +0100, "Axel Emmermann" <axel.emmermann_at_pandora.be> wrote:

>Could there be a strategy behind these reoccurring thefts of lunar rocks?
>Maybe something like: "Hey, if we just let all the crooks have a piece of
>moon rock they finally might stop stealing them".

No, if I had to guess, I'd say that this guy probably had no idea what he was stealing (to do so he
would have to have been following and "researching" the NASA dude) and instead broke into the car at
random to steal anything, hoping that he'd get something he could sell. Maybe he thought there
would be a computer or an iPod or something in the bag. I'd bet that the samples were thrown away
with disgust before the news later came out as to what they were. Unless somewhere in the area,
someone just got the deal of a lifetime for a couple of grams of meth!