[meteorite-list] Franconia Report- Question

From: Thetoprok_at_aol.com <Thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 25 12:07:49 2006

Hello List,

I recently spent four days in the Franconia strewn field. I didn't find very
many but I had a great time camping and enjoying the desert experience. I
sacrificed the first day to hunting the extreme south end of the field in
search of something big. I knew there was a slim chance of finding the mother load
but hey, I had to try! I spent the second, third and fourth day hunting in
the area where the possible L chondrites have been found. I recovered numerous
H's and little irons last April and I wanted to add the L's to my
collection. I found three of them, one each day, talk about tough hunting! I'm sure
there is still a lot of material out there but it doesn't come easy. The stones
I found were rather small, 42.88 grams, 22 grams and 20.46g's.
My question is about this other material, the possible L chondrites. Does
anyone know if these are indeed L's? If so, how much of this stuff has been
found out there? Also, has any work been done to verify this is a different
fall? I do believe the irons are from the same fall as the H chondrites but I'm
not sure about this other stuff, they look a little fresher.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry Atkins
IMCA # 1941
"Luck is what happens when opportunity meets preparedness ."