AW: [meteorite-list] Best ALH84001 Meteorite Book

From: Jim Strope <nwa482_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 20 10:59:43 2006

Why bother dreaming about ALH84001 when you can have the next best
thing.......NWA 998 ( http://www.nwa998.com/ ):

"NWA 998 is also described as containing ankeritic carbonates. One other
meteorite has been described in this manner --- ALH84001, the most famous
Martian Meteorite in the world, which is at the center of the life on mars
controversy. ALH84001 was discovered in Antarctic in 1984. In August 1996
a team of scientists announced that they believe they found evidence of
ancient microbacterial life in ALH84001. The debate still rages today,
seven years after the stunning announcement. Because of this stunning
theory, Mars is the hottest area of interest in the solar system and
un-manned probes are currently enroute.
Another scientifically important discovery with NWA 998 is the presence of
water bearing minerals within the meteorite. This discovery strengthens
the theory that Mars was once a wet planet capable of supporting life. The
other Nakhlites have evidence of being altered by flowing water but only NWA
998 contains these water bearing minerals."

Jim Strope
421 Fourth Street
Glen Dale, WV 26038

http://www.catchafallingstar.com