[meteorite-list] Elementary school presentation tips?

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 14 12:51:12 2006

yes, Martin, right. Good advice.

-Walter
From: "Martin Horejsi" <accretiondesk_at_gmail.com>
To: <Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Elementary school presentation tips?

Hi Gary,

Ditto what others have said plus one more suggestion. I love to tell
stories and they can be powerful teaching tools. A few that involve
kids include Nobelsville, Ensisheim, Mbale, and of course Oakley,
Idaho among others. Kids relate to kids, so any human/meteorite
connection involving kids gives the children a place to hang the new
information.

One of the reasons the general population gets that
deer-in-the-headlights look is that almost everything about meteorites
is new to them, and there are few or no pigieon holes in their brains
in which to place all the mindboggling concepts and facts. But toss in
that people ate the meteorites (Mbale, but maybe skip the AIDS part),
or ran and hid from it (Zagami) or sold it to go to college
(Nobelsville) or my favorite, just what was Michell doing on the couch
with her boyfriend when her car was smashed by a meteorite?
(Peekskill), and the smiles tell you your audience understands.

With all the great tales about doorstops, plough weights, Steve Arnold
(take your pick) and local falls and finds in your own state/country,
it will be hard to keep within your allocated timeframe. And kids love
them because they can remember them.

I know the Nakhla dog issue is...well, I don't want to go there, but
should such a tale slip out....smile!

Cheers,

Martin