AW: [meteorite-list] Elementary school presentation tips?

From: Dave Mouat <dmouat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 14 12:44:27 2006

Dear Gary and fellow Listees

There has been a lot said about the topic of presenting to young kids. Humor,
imagination, enthusiasm, the right level (not over their heads but not under
either), good speaking skills (if you're concerned about this part, write notes
and practice with someone). Martin's suggestion of giving them little specimens
is a good one. Years ago, I offered to talk about comets and meteorites/meteors
to a 4th grade class. A certain ex-dealer sold me about 25 small Gibeons for a
really good price. I put them in little glass jars (10 or 20 ml), handed them
out. I brought some large irons with a window polished and etched, a large
chondrite, a large slice of Albin. The 4th grade class went nuts, however, when
I "made" the comet (dry ice, water, syrup, "dirt"). Placed the pyrex jar in
front of a fan, made sure the kids were more or less behind the "comet", poured
warm water into the mixture.

Have a good time with this!!

Dave