[meteorite-list] Weird pic...Apollo 14

From: EKGMARS at aol.com <EKGMARS_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:54:07 EST

Sterling,
   Your explanation about the Apollo 14 photograph is correct. During the
Apollo 14 mission I was the Mission Science Advisor for the A-14 mission in the
Lunar Receiving Laboratory. I participated in the Apollo 14 crew
debriefings with Alan Sheppard, Ed Mitchell and Stuart Rousa along with the backup crew
of Gene Cernan and Joe Engle. During the debriefs, all of the mission
photographs were examined and detailed discussions were held with the crew (across a
quarantine barrier window) regarding their surface activities and what was
displayed in the images. We discussed the particular photograph of the ALSEP
station with the blue streak above the horizon. The crew commented that it was
difficult to not get sun reflections in the camera. In fact, there were
additional images from the surface photographs which had smaller "streaks" above
the horizon.
     The debriefings were an amazing experience, expecially when Ed Mitchell
and Al Sheppard began pulling lunar rocks from a large white bag. Lunar
samples 14301 thru 14321 were loosely stowed inside the bag. The samples were
laid out on a table which had been covered with aluminum foil. Sample 14321
was the size of a soccer ball and the largest lunar sample returned from the
mission. It was given the name "Big Bertha".
     Hope these comments help clarify the situation with the streaks in the
photograph.
       Everett Gibson