[meteorite-list] "AD" What is wrong with sharing...

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:49:32 -0700

Greg,
I believe that most list members are like me and enjoy seeing ADs for new
material and new sales. However, I also believe that we (list members) get
tired of seeing the same specimens offered several times a week when the
seller posts "reminders" like "my auctions are ending in two days", "my
auctions are ending in one day", "my auctions are ending in two
hours"....etc. Everyone on this list (with the exception of one person) is
smart enough to make note of some items for sale, if they are interested in
purchasing them, without the repetitive reminds. Personally, I find them
insulting. I hate pushy sales people. I hate the perfume sales girls at
the mall who insists on me trying one of her products for my wife. I hate
the "going out of business - this is your LAST chance at these fantastic
items at rock-bottom prices" approach. And I really hate the guy who tries
to insult me into buying his products. "Obviously you're not smart enough
to recognize a fantastic opportunity when you see on " tactic.

I find these tactics insulting at the mall, on the phone, on the TV and on
the Internet. I'm tired of people trying to cram their products down my
throat and trying to get their hands in my wallet. If I want to buy
something, I'm smart enough to find who has it for sale and I'm smart
enough to decide what I'm willing to pay for it. I don't need to be
reminded several times. But, if anyone has some new material or is
offering a truly discounted sale ( 30% to 50% is good...10% is insulting) ,
I'm really happy to take a look. If I get sent more than one "
opportunity" for the same sale items, I usually send ALL the offers to my
trash bin and make a note to avoid that seller again.

Bottom line is that I don't like people who waste my time and treat me like
I'm not smart enough to navigate through life without their unsolicited
help. This isn't an attack on you Greg - you aren't one of the offenders
that annoy me.

Happy Holidays to All....and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate the event,

John Gwilliam