[meteorite-list] Free Meteorite Dealer Listings since 1996

From: Gary K. Foote <gary_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:02:07 -0500

Paul,

> First, I think your presentation to the school and some of your posts to
> the list have been excellent.

Thank you.

> But you are the one who
> shot across our bow first as your email to the list on Dec 22, 2005 will
> show.
>
> From the list archives.
> http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2005-December/018771.html
>
> 1. When a list member informed you that we already provide a free list
> to everyone your response was - "Yes, but you have to know what you want."
> I took that as a negative view of the service we have been providing
> since 1996

If you read the whole post you referenced rather than the one line you quoted you will
see it was, and still is, an attempt to provide a different kind of service, providing
value to meteorite dealers wishing to reach out to their market. My comment, which you
did quote, was intended to show the difference between your listings and mine - nothing
about that can be construed as a shot across the bows.
.

> 2. Your statement, "If you want to be listed in what will quickly become
> the premier meteorite dealer's listing website..."
> We've been the premier Meteorite Dealer listing website since 1996 and
> you have publicly stated your intent to change that.
>
> 3. Your statement, "And I bet I can take top position in the major
> search engines too. I've been at this for 13 years now." This
> further proves you are trying to knock us out of our #1 spot and implies
> that I lack the seo skills necessary to remain #1.

My implication was that I know SEO as well as anyone else and that there would be value
in my efforts.

> I do disagree with some of your business tactics though. Pumping up
> your posts in November and December to have people
> look at your website and drive up your stats and then make a statement
> (which is accurate for December) that you have x amount
> of unique visitors is quite misleading. Everyone should look at the
> months before November and December to see the real stats.
> http://gaccin.pair.com/wx/webalizer/meteorite-dealers.com/
> This is the reason I made my post the way that I did. I also calculated
> that you would not be able to remain silent. If you had remained
> silent I would not be making this post.

Current stats show trends. Valuable information to any potential advertiser. As a past
owner of a full-service ad agency I am well aware that metrics for every advertising
venue change over time and that, as they grow, so does the value of advertising in that
venue. Plain and simple Business 101. As for 'pumping up my posts', I post when I have
something to say - which is not on a regular basis. Posting for the sake of posting
something/anything would be pumping up my posts with intent. This I do not do.

Where is the proof of your statistical claims? I noticed you did not post a link to your
stats for all to see. Are we to simply believe your statement of 1000 unique visitors
per day as a fact without corroberation?

As for your calculating that I could not remain silent - your statement simply shows that
and gladly. I have put a lot of time and effort into meteorite-dealers.com and will
continue to defend my efforts.

> Competition is great for everyone. It has kept us on our toes and our
> sites and services are better today because of you.

I am glad that you recognize that your site needed competition to improve. I am glad to
have been that competition as well.

> Thank you for making us better.

You're welcome.

It is a shame that two such sites cannot co-exist without animosity. I believe your post
was made out of fear that your site's relevance may be negatively impacted by meteorite-
dealers.com's existence.

Gary