[meteorite-list] biggest taggish lake

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:26:52 -0800

Hello Harlan, All,

The largest piece of Tagish available to private collectors (to my
knowledge) was the ~10+g chunk sold by Eric Twelker a number of months, if
not a few years ago.
There are undoubtedly a few more of that size, if not bigger, floating
around, but good luck figuring out who has them....
-Eric had a number of others in the gram range, but they all went fairly
quickly.

There's no chance that any more will be found in my opinion, in the lake or
surrounding it; the material is so friable that I doubt it would hold
together well on the way to the bottom of the lake while immersed in water,
to say nothing of a few years of sitting there with lake-currents playing
over it. Rain and snow would wreak havoc with whatever was left on land,
turning it into mud after its first Canadian thaw.

I assume the price would hold at ~$.50-$1/mg for any specimen, regardless of
size. Ivuna, Orgueil, and other such rare and primitive carbonaceous
chondrites seem to have reached that price in recent years and are about as
accessible to the public, if not more so.

Good luck hunting one down...you'll probably need it....

Regards,
Jason