[meteorite-list] biggest taggish lake

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 03:55:19 -0800 (PST)

Might I suggest that diving for this particular one is
not much use for the following reasons

1: It landed on a frozen lake. I suspect most of the
pieces were recovered from the ice at the time.
2: It's not magnetic.
3: It's a very dark rock.
4: I suspect the lake is currently frozen over right
now.
5: Canadian Authorities wouldn't be keen on you taking
it home if you did find any.

It's a shame no more pieces could be found from the
surrounding area. We're lucky some of it did land on
the frozen lake or we may have very little of it at
all. I got my bit from Eric a few weeks ago, plugging
one of the few gaps I have left.

If I were a rich man......

RMcC
--- Rick Davis <torotoy at msn.com> wrote:

---------------------------------

"Dive for Meteorites", very interesting IM just
outside Seattle can dive any depth all equipment
manned or unmanned. I was under the impression they
would rust away and simply dismissed hunting
underwater. Most bottom types composed of mud, soil,
silt ect.. leave long lasting impressions "a history".
Someone with experience reading the bottom optically
without disturbing the surface layers can quickly
narrow down the search area for magnetic, electronic
and sub bottom surface 3D sonar imaging. It can be
very rewarding finding something efficiently,
especially in a lake.

Im just a rookie Meteorite hunter and new to the list,
but have been working on the bottom for 37 years. I
hope the list will create a discussion on this topic
if you think it is valid, seems to be a lot of
knowledge and experience here. Our ability to find
things on the bottom improves constantly. I have a map
of the debris field I would say there are finds to be
made in the lakes. My question is, at what rate can we
expect them to corrode? I've seen metal dissolve in
days and others that are hundreds of years on the
bottom. Chemical composition of bottom type, metal
object and water, also temperatures how deep in the
bottom all are factors. Do we have a source for lake
data?

What say you list?

Rick

what is the biggest piece of this known nad what is it
worth in U$D? are there any pix of it? if so, where?
all i have seen are dirt-like pieces not big enough to
fingerfondle (10g or more). is it worth a dive on the
lake to find more?