[meteorite-list] Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 36, Issue 28

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 08:44:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

Ahah - things are becoming clearer -

Perhaps this explains to some degree the apparent lack
of cometary meteorites - their speeds are too high to
survive entry - of course, the other alternative is
that the experts in meteoritics have simply
mis-identified cometary meteorites - my guess is that
some of the iron-silicites come from cometary
nucleus's (nuclei?), but then who knows?

That's one of the things that makes meteoritics so
interesting - it's still a developing science, and a
fundamental one at that. I wonder if the term
"cuttings" will ever replace "Bessey specks" in
advertisements?

good hunting,
Ed