[meteorite-list] Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 36, Issue 28

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 07:48:03 -0700

I was discussing the probability of encountering a meteor with a
velocity greater than the Sun's escape velocity at the Earth. The
likelihood of that happening should be much lower than the likelihood of
simply encountering a stray object kicked out of the Oort Cloud. There
are only a few ways an object can pick up additional energy by momentum
transfer, and an infinite number of ways it can avoid doing so. And I
wasn't particularly thinking of ruin-your-day sorts of events; even very
rare high speed meteoroids should follow a power law size distribution,
so a pebble should be much more common than a boulder (even if neither
has happened more than a handful of times since the formation of the
Solar System).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory