[meteorite-list] Hello

From: Gerald Flaherty <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 28 22:54:36 2006

HI Steve and welcome to the Meteorite List. I've got only a two year head start on you. And I can assure you that if you stay "tuned" you'll soon be quite able to decern a meteorite from an rock of earth origin.
Terrestrial rocks, like the ones whose pictures you've supplied, do indeed contain evidence of the tumultuous, tortuous igneous and metamorphic processes that formed them.
Intrusions of molten material under intense pressures leave their unmistakable signatures.
Impact shock viens look suspiciously similar but the very texture of your rocks belie their origin.
Stick around and the three categories, iron, stoney-iron and stoney meteorites will eventually "jump" out at you [98% of the time]
Jerry Flaherty