[meteorite-list] I'm getting confused by the MB coordinates

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 26 10:28:08 2006

A systematic coordinate error is a possibility, but don't look at the
choice of map datum as the problem. At most, various datums will differ
by a few hundred meters. A four mile error has to come from somewhere
else.

A map datum is a model based on some mathematical approximation of the
shape of the Earth. Because it isn't spherical, the choice of
mathematical function used to describe it slightly affects topocentric
coordinates.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory