AW: AW: Re-2: [meteorite-list] Moss Meteorite From A Comet?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 21 11:49:56 2006

Hi Ed,

the problem with the Chiemgau-debate is, that it is so old, that the
discussion seems to be driven predominantly by the human factor and not by
science anymore. Personal attacks of the different involved groups seem to
make a rational analysis of this issue impossible.
Some say they have clear evidence, but don't want to show the samples, other
seem to care more about the personal reputation of the adversary group
members than about research, others choose as place for publication rather
TV and media and not the usual journals... - a mess (partially paid by the
German tax-payer).

The so called craters were identified by the Geologischen Landesamt as
glacial - sorry I don't find the terminus technicus in English now, I think
"kettle" is the right word? - and some as antique bloomeries.
There is also a small, quite circulate lake and one scientist claims to have
thin sections from shocked quartz from there, but never published it.

The metal finds around there contain no nickel
(and as no meteoritic material could be found, the fans of the impact
scenario seems to have switched to a theory of a comet fragment exploded at
high altitudes, which dynamically seems not to work (there I'm not an
expert)).

And finally the ominous "presolar" FeSi-pellets contain no cosmogene noble
gases, nor do the O-isotopes show an extraterrestrial origin.
They are found also elsewhere, not only in Chiemgau and are most probably
industrial pollution.

That's what I heard so far,
but I'm sure that Dieter Heinlein, who was somewhat involved in that issue,
can give you better details.

A funny thing I have to tell more.
Obviously some of the impact-camps played with the online impact effect
calculator and from the results they made a dramatic pseudo-documentary.
There you could see the Celts of Chiemgau in 465 b.C. (some of the "experts"
achieved to calculate the exact date of the fall - here I see the motivation
in the before discussed crater in Northern Italy, which was connected with
the vision of emperor Constantine, the cross in the sky...).
And the sky was falling on their heads.
Fortunately the falling fire brought also some iron with it,
so that the Celts of Chiemgau profited in a sudden step forward in
civilization and technology.
The metal was attributed as "The Black Gold of the Celts"..
...?hem and so on.

That documentary was shown in one of the main TV-channels at Sunday
primetime.

Effect, several people believed each brown stone in their gardens to be a
meteorite and the Black Gold of the Celts.

One very enthusiastic finder you will still find trying to sell his
"meteorites" on German ebay.
(He learned, meanwhile he's selling also Mars-chondrites, CIs, and fossils
of animals killed by impacts (not Ries-Belemnites)).

http://kuerzer.de/gosh1

http://kuerzer.de/gosh2

Enjoy!
Martin