[meteorite-list] Pluto May Get Demoted After All

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 18 21:18:58 2006

Hi all -

Sterling, I want to arise in defense of Rob Roy Britt.

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> Second: you'll notice that much of the
> "coverage" of the planet definition controversy is
> coming out of Space.com. In searching up articles, I
> have become aware that Space.com and particularly
Mr. > Britt, who's doing most of their pieces, have
> adopted a tabloid-esque approach. They're trying to
> boost "circulation," so to speak.

That's the reporter's job, Sterling: boost circulation
= get an an audience with reportage.

> Encouraging controversy and then getting people
> to then react to it is an old trick of the yellow
> rag. Of course, the controversy is REAL,

Yes, as you can see by reading the meteorite list
messages, this controversy is REAL, and was not
created by Britt.

> but what tone it has is another matter.
> In one piece discussing the "double planet"
> concept, Britt uses a phrase about them having that
"barycenter thing going." Hey! Making bad slangy jokes
about science is my job! I doubt the working
astronomers are talking about it that way. Maybe...

Ah hah - we get to the root of the problem - you're
JEALOUS of Britt!

Well, Sterling, not every story is as good as this
one, and the pay is lousy, frankly. Britt recognized
a good story early on, lined up his contacts, works
them, and writes good copy that people read.

I think that's what a journalist does. Just because
the story is sensational and he got there first does
not allow you to accuse Britt of being a
"sensationalist". We prefer the word "lively".

good hunting,
Ed