[meteorite-list] conflicting viewpoints

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 15 10:39:03 2006

Hi all -

Given the market prices, I wonder why the academic
institutions and academic departments in Libya,
Algeria, Morocco, etc. have not turned to meteorite
hunting as a source of funds.

Possibly the answer lies in the skills required for
searching - the eyesight, the concentration, the
identitfication, and just the plain old obsession
required for it.

While the USGS plays a role, they have a lot to do.
One might think that the task would be part of NASA's
mandate, but what NASA really does is buy rockets. The
lunar meteorite/Apollo samples cost comparison is
interesting, now extend that to consider the case for
Mars sample return samples.

All in all, maybe the situation as it exists, what has
happened, is optimal, and perhaps the free market is
the best way to go here.

It is certain that Bob Haag played his role.

just some thoughts in the night,
Ed

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net>