[meteorite-list] Canada law

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Apr 25 20:36:07 2006

Hello all,

In the following Armando posted (Thanks Armando):

"Under Canadian law, meteorites belong to the person who finds them.
Mr. Brook began shopping the fragments around.
   He found buyers in the United States, but Ottawa turned down his
application for an export permit because it aims to keep cultural
property of outstanding significance and national importance at home."

Interesting as I know a little history on these stones having talked with
the finder a year or so ago, and talked about purchasing the stones. The
expert permit was originally turned down because Brook has not given proper
time for the meteorites to be purchased in Canada, or at least that is what
I got from conversation. He was going to apply again in six months and I
guess the answer to that is above.

It is nice to see Brook get a good price and them stay in Canada.
Meteorites are more treasured by the public if they can make a
connection....such as location...or at least I believe.

Had he not got a good price, which I think he did, my suggestion was that he
offer half to the government for free in exchange for an export permit. The
meteorites in general should be worth at least twice..on the world
market...over what they are worth in Canada.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
www.meteoritearticles.com