[meteorite-list] Re: Crackpot impact theory

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Sep 25 07:20:40 2005

Two things in particular, plus a few others, made me frown about this
hypothesis. One is the "comet coalesced from supernova material". That's just
not the current idea of how comets formed. So I do hope that Firestone in his
paper provides a scientificaly viable mechanism for this alternative comet
formation theory, otherwise it is crackpot.

The other point is, that mammoths did *not* get extinct all at once at ~13 000
BP. On Wrangel Island in the arctic for example, they survived untill 4000 BP.
In Eurasia, they disappear between ~15000 and 12000 bp, in what seems to be a
gradual process.

Also, why the mammoths, but for example not the bears and bizons? Are bears and
bizons immune to comet impact? The extinction of part of the megafauna at the
end of the Weichsel/Wisconsin glacial is *not* akin to the mass extinctions of
life such as at the K/T boundary (and it is not abrupt). And its not restricted
to North Amerca, which seems the focus of this new hypothesis if the press
release is correct ("comet impact in North America").

And where's the crater? We are talking here, of a comet the size of the K/T
impactor (10 km). That leaves one giant crater, Chixculub sized.

These are just some legitimite questions based on scientific data we have,
regarding this hypothesis. Since I have never been a fan of the "human hunting
overkill hypothesis" either (another alternative hypothesis), my cards are still
on the changes in environment happening at the end of the last glacial.

Note by the way, that a viable mechanism for peaks and lows in atmospheric
radiocarbon, is in solar activity. Hence, a supernova certainly is not "the
only" phenomena that explains it. In fact, current research suggests there are
several cycles in atmospheric 14C levels over time, which implicates cycles in
solar activity (the 11 year cycle is well know, but there are several longer
cyces too, it appears).

- Marco
   (Pleistocene archaeologist)

-----