[meteorite-list] Re: Charity non-eBay Offers (Stan and Marcin)

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 21 13:17:23 2005

actually i tried on my own to meet the ebay red tape rules regarding the
auction on my own to put the auction back up - you dont HAVE to go through
mission fish if you have prior written permission from the charity to use
their name in your auction. even though I explained to the red cross rep
that I finally spoke with that the auction I was running would raise a
minimum of 6k$ and it was being held in conjunction with an effort that was
already raising a substantial amount of money they LITERALLY said 'thanks
but no thanks' - they didnt want to take the liability of being associated
with a third party selling merchandise to raise funds for them! and thats
not the topper either! i talked to a buddy of mine and he said that the case
number listed in the emails I got from ebay was indicitive of a complaint
someone lodged with ebay - meaning most likely someone from the meteorite
community (who else is going to look at an auction for a 6,000$ piece of
space rock) actually complained to ebay about my sale! needless to say I was
seeing red when I had found out about this.

I really didnt want to dedicate any more time and effort to such a cluster
$%^& so I offered the slice to the first person who had originally emailed
me about it - he immediately purchased it and once the funds clear I will
contribute the proceeds to a katrina charity - but NOT the red cross. Many
thanks to Geoff for offering to handle the matter, in retrospect I guess
that might have been a better way to go about things, I hope I didnt
disapoint any of the many people who had been watching the auction by just
selling outright, but I had posted to the list about the problem and no one
came up with any alternate solutions at the time so I guess the early bird
got the worm on this one :)