[meteorite-list] re: One Find, Two Astronomers: An Ethical Brawl

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 17 21:53:36 2005

Hi, All,

    Ah, opinion is such a flighty thing. I read Ortiz'
declaration and it all makes perfect sense. He's
a fine fellow, it seems, but...

    We often, deep in our concerns, follow a sequence
of reasonings, all of which seems perfectly sound and
proper from each step to each step, to the end, yet
when an "outsider" looks at the completed action
without knowing the steps, he may see things in a
light that never was.

    Stoss uses NEAT data, DSS and POSS data, to
refine the orbit. He never uses Brown's data? Wouldn't
that help refine it? Yet, 20 minutes after the times of
his own Mallorca observations and recovery of the
object, someone at IAA is accessing Brown's positional
data AGAIN.

    I am most curious. Why? Are they merely "curious"?
At this point, they have discovery positions (2003),
archival positions (NEAT, etc.), and current position
(Mallorca) of "their" object. Why check someone else's
data if you are not going to use it and claim that you
are not even sure if it's the same object?

    Of course, with Stoss' work, they know its orbit
as well as Brown, perhaps even better because they
have archival positions which Brown appears not to
have searched for. What do they need with Brown's
data? To me, it seems inexplicable behavior in the
context of their narration. In fact, with what orbital
data they already have, they can easily determine
from Brown's data accessed the first time that it
IS the same.

    If for no other reason than this, one should always
consider the appearances of things to others, whether
an interested or disinterested party. It is merely wise
to do so, as many a politician has discovered, often
woefully.

    Marco says, "Note that here I assume that Ortiz
et al. took note of, but did not *use* the data gleaned
from the telescope log they accessed..."

    That, of course, is the "tipping point" issue, entirely
and completely. Ortiz et al. assert it, or at least imply
it; they do not actually address it directly. We must
*assume* it or not *assume* it, and when that is so,
one must expect different people to make different
assumptions.

    Science can be quite as cut-throat as any other
human endeavor, although one would never know
it from the public image of scientists. There is a
Nobel-winning scientist, in the past decade, in
a field I shall not name, who is absolutely detested
by the majority of workers in the same field for
stealing others' work by a variety of means, by
every means possible, in fact, countless thoroughly
despicable behaviors. But, he got that prize... and
probably for a theory that will be ultimately quite
discredited.

    If Ortiz made some use of Brown's data he will
not admit to, but really made the 2003 discovery,
it is, to use an American expression, "small potatoes."
Myself, in his position, would have mentioned it.

    Marco calls Brown's observations "unpublished"
and "unreported" yet also refers to a "published"
abstract of Brown's and to the "publicly accessible
website." If so, there's a reason that that the law
refers to "publishing" on the web. To place anything
on the web is to PUBLISH it, legally. So, we are
drawing a line here that weaves in and out among
various definitions of "publish," and that line is not
a straight line. Is the criterion peer-review alone?
Not to the world at large...

    Completely aside, that is why you aspiring authors
should never put your great novels-to-be on your
website. Technically, that is publication; and
should a real publisher ever want it, you will find
that you have reduced its value because they would
be buying "reprint" rights, which are not worth the
same as "first" rights. Just a tip...

    If I had been the SMARTS Consortium's webmaster,
I would have told them to make the front end accessible,
with the pretty pictures and the press releases, and to
put the Consortium's business under 128-bit encryption
and password protected. (It's never too late to do this,
Mike Brown, if you're listening, and no trouble. If the tiny
bank in a town of 1500 pop. can do it, so can Yale and
CalTech...)

    Other scientists may airily say, O, free and public data,
I found it on a website, but the law says "copyrighted
intellectual property..." It's a question of which frame
you view reality from.

    There are other approaches. The Lowell Observatory
Deep Ecliptic Survey puts hundreds of KBO's in databases
and literally begs for somebody to follow up on them. Many
are lost again because there is no followup astrometry. Of
course, an ecliptic survey would not have found 2003EL61
or 2003UB313 at all...

    We're just at the very first stages of exploring Trans-
Neptunian space. Five or ten years from now, this may
be largely forgotten in a splurge of discovery. I hope so,
anyway. And I think there will be a splurge of discovery.

    When 2003UB313 was discovered, I posted a long
(multi-part) post hypothesizing three logical categories or
populations of planets: Terrestrial (differentiated rocky/
iron worlds), Jovian (differentiated rocky/gas worlds), and
Plutonian, or differentiated rocky/multiphase-ice worlds,
giving as examples these big TBO's, certain satellites
of the gas giants, and Ceres. It all seemed blindingly
obvious to me.

    Then, a few weeks ago comes the study that revealed
that Ceres is indeed a thoroughly differentiated body, saying
"nobody expected this." I couldn't imagine anyone could
think anything else, ignorant me. One has only to look at
the "inventories" of the solar nebula to see that the principal
"trap" for the most abundant element (hydrogen) and the 4th
most abundant element (oxygen) is each other! There must
have been tremendous mass of such bodies produced.

    The implicit evidences for very large bodies is several,
bodies big enough to strip a big moon (Pluto) from Neptune,
bodies big enough to not be captured by Jupiter like Ganymede
(bigger than Mercury) was, bodies bigger than 2003UB313
by far. I "believe" (we call that hypothesizing, don't we?) that
they're out there.

    When the impact theory of the Moon's origin was proposed
(that's "our" Moon), it was modeled with a Mars-sized impactor.
It now appears that several Mars masses would have been
required. Has anybody ever modeled it with a BIG rocky/ICY
body? And the question of how the Earth acquired all this
water is still unresolved, you know, when the other Terrestrials
seem sadly lacking in kilometer deep oceans... (Going for a
swim on Venus? Good luck!) You don't suppose the two
questions are related, do you?

    (* Yes, the Moon is very dry, but impact is like an event
horizon that makes it impossible to know what the impactor
was like BEFORE the impact. Presumably, it was not like
the re-accreted Moon. It would require the Earth to retain
only a small fraction of the water to account for the origin
of its oceans.)

    You see, nobody seems to take into account the
possibility of a large population of such bodies in the
early solar system. But given the relative abundances
of the solar nebula, they should have been (and should
still be) the most numerous bodies. The largest such
bodies seem to be unaccounted for. They are not in
our neighborhood certainly.

    In the past five years or so, we've found six good-sized
bodies beyond Pluto. If I was really a dreary archivist,
I'd dig up the many predictions of nothing beyond Pluto,
then nothing big beyond Pluto, then nothing as big as
Pluto beyond Pluto, then nothing bigger than Pluto
beyond Pluto... Well, the trend seems obvious, and in
discoveries, this is predictively valid: if your number of
finds increases dramatically as a function of search
intensity and duration, you are dealing with a population,
not incidental finds.

    They're out there...

Sterling K. Webb