[meteorite-list] re: One Find, Two Astronomers: An Ethical Brawl

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 17 09:05:19 2005

Hi Sterling, Doug et al.,

This is rapidly becoming a highly convoluted history now, and I urge everyone to
be very careful with damning judgements on either Ortiz or Brown. Initialy, I
thought (based on the information provided about logged IP's etc.) that things
were very wrong. Thinking it over and separating facts from assumptions, I
however started to realize that scenario's were perfectly plausible which would
clear Ortiz et al. from fraud attempt accusations.

In fact, this is what I wrote early yesterday in a private message to A/CC
editor Bill Allen when we were privately discussing the unheard of developments
around 2003 EL61, and possibe scenario's about what could have happened as seen
from various viewpoints:

" You find something in your data which suggest highly unusual characteristics
(a +17.5 mag TNO, who would have believed that was possible before this find?).
Being relatively unknown in the field, would you risk being laughed at? It would
not surprise me if this is why their initial submission to the MPC did not lable
it as TNO. It would make sense, when they would try to find out extra
information about recent TNO finds. Reading the meeting abstract for which they
submitted an abstract themselves, and which talks about the find of some very
large TNO's, it would be natural they hit Google to see if they could find
something more about it than just this abstract which gives little information.
Then you find a publicly accessible website with apparently more info on those
objects, such as positions. Accessing it, you discover to your dismay it seems
to concern YOUR object. Now starts a process of check and double-check: is it
reallly the same object? Yes, it seems so... So what do you do? Mind you, the
status of Brown's "discovery" is * very unclear* at that point. No MPEC has yet
been released for this object, it is not in the MPC TNO database, there is
nothing official on it.
If I were in Ortiz et al.'s shoes in such a situation, and knowing a discovery
of this kind means a much better chance of funding for my research and position
(which are always very dire here in Europe), I would not hesitate at all to go
public at that point, formally claiming the, and my rightly independant,
discovery with an MPC report leading to an MPEC as well as a public statement on
the find, before the actual meeting on which Brown et al. might or might not
give out more information. That you scoop Brown et al. is Brown et al's problem,
it was their decision to not go public yet so their responsibility. I agree that
they had good reasons to not go public yet (I do not agree at all with those who
maintain their "secrecy" would somehow be wrong and anti-scientific, that is
nonsense), but then they also knew the risks of that. Sometimes you win,
sometimes you lose.
The question then is: should Ortiz et al. have mentioned that Brown might have
yet unreported observations on the same object? I do not agree at all with those
who maintain they should have. These were unpublished data: the one single
abstract for a meeting that yet had to take place (!) only mentions a name code,
nothing there to identify this object with your object (or any other object for
that matter). Scientificaly, they therefore do not yet exist. You can mention
them out of courtesy, but there is no need to do so whatsoever. I am a scientist
myself, and every scientist will be familiar with the situation that you publish
something, and know through the grapevine that someone else is working on the
same problem and might have yet unpublished results on this. If you would have
to acknowledge this, scientific literature would be full of statements like:
"There are suggestions that Dr X and prof Y might have yet unpublished data on
this same [insert subject]". Everybody would see how ridiculous this would be.
In reality, you only mention this if you have private communications with these
other researchers, you want to give them credit out of courtesy (and/or because
their data strengthen your case) and they allow you to mention their data as a
private communication. And there is no obligation to do so at all (as long as
you do not use their results). Also note that I am talking of giving credit in
scientific publications, announcements or meetings here. Ignoring other's work
on similar objects/subjects is quite the norm in press releases for example. I
know of no PR department of a scientific institution that does not do that.

Note that here I assume that Ortiz et al. took note of, but did not *use* the
data gleaned from the telescope log they accessed, other than to check against
their own data. If the opposite was the case, the situation would be wholy
different. Indeed, Ortiz et al then would have the obligation to credit Brown,
and their actions would be scientific misconduct. "

And now, Ortiz posted this message yesterday (reproduced below) on the MPML list
(I did not get to see it untill this morning as I am subscribed to the Digest
version of MPML, same for this list by the way), with an account that actually
not much differs from my scenario above! If this is how things went, it would be
perfectly understandable, and it would clear Ortiz et al. of any foul intent.

As things currently stand, I will consider Ortiz et al. as innocent of the
charges made, untill definite proof of the opposite is given. And please note,
there are careers at stake here.

Read Ortiz story from MPML below.

- Marco