Oops ---Re: [meteorite-list] Hajar al-Aswad/ "black stone of Mecca"

From: star-bits_at_comcast.net <star-bits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 13 00:40:09 2005

Ted the photos are really pretty good. If I had to make a guess I would say that the piece at the tomb of Suleyman the Magnificent is not a meteorite. That guess is based solely on the complete lack of any staining on the marble below the piece. After such a long period of time in the weather even meteorites with small amounts of iron would have the iron leach out and stain the marble below. Of course the area could have been sandblasted clean recently removing the stain which would invalidate the comments above.

--
Eric Olson
ELKK Meteorites