[meteorite-list] Orbicular granite and chondrites

From: Ingo Herkstroeter <metopaster_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 10 08:51:04 2005

>Hi Kevin!

I?ve never seen a orbicular granite but I?ve seen a orbicular diorite (so
called "Klotgranit") near Sl?ttemossa/Sweden. Diorites have more plagioclase
and only a few of the quartz amount of a granite. If you mean granite type
called "Rapakiwi" (rounded K-feldspar with plagioclase rims) I?ve seen such
stuff also in Sweden.
I think there is not much known about the genesis of this textures (only a
lot of discussions). But I?m very sure that their origin is not related to
chondrites, cause they are differentiated rocks and chondrites are not.
So granites and diorites a generated in a differentiated crust of a big body
(planet or planetoid), chondrites are not formed in a crust like
invironment.
If there?re some questions left, feel free to ask.

Best Wishes

Ingo/Germany

 --- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht ---

--