[meteorite-list] Charity Sale VERNON COUNTY !!!, fall 1865

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 10 08:09:18 2005

Dear List Members,

just an instant ago, Sigrid Leenen called, wanting to make a very generous
donation for the raffle.
But as the deadline for prize donation was yesterday and I have the feeling,
that still the value of the prizes exceeds the revenue of the until now sold
tickets, let's just sell it quickly here. Of course 100% of the result will
go to Geoff & the Red Cross.

Now listen up!
Up for sale is a thin slice of the superare American fall of:

VERNON COUNTY
Vernon County, Wisconsin, USA
Fall 1865, March 26, 09:00hrs
Olivine bronzite chondrite H6, veined
Tkw: 1500grams (800g of them lost).

Only two stones fell, 800g and 700g, the first one was subsequently lost.
Hence an extraordinnary, exceedingly rare historic US-fall.
Also almost nothing of it in private hands.
A short glimpse in the Blue Book:
123g Harvard
65g Paris
37g London
28g Vienna
22g Chicago
18g Copenhagen
8g Berlin
7g Washington
2g Mainz
2g New York
1.5g Albuquerque

It's an ultrathin slice with a perfect surface to weight ratio, - a thicker
slice was splitted by Karl/Vassiliev, the best cutters on the globe.
The slice was compared with the specimen in Berlin and no doubts it is
authentic, as Vernon County is very characteristic, belongs to the rare
porous chondrites and the source is reliable.

Must say, that this is extraordinnary generous from Sigrid to part with this
rare historic fall!

The dimensions of the slice I will have this evening, well Sigrid has no
accurate scale, but estimated from the original slice,
it will have 0.3grams or perhaps more and in fact it doesn't matter for the
moment, as it's for the noble purpose.

I want to sell it at least for the symbolic price of 200$.

(I remember, that a micromount with a 0.03g crumb was sold recently at 50$
on ebay)
Do I hear more?
Please contact me soon.

Many thanks!