[meteorite-list] Workshop: Deep Impact as a World Observatory Event

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 8 12:05:17 2005

http://www.eso.org/~hukaufl/deep_impact.html

Deep Impact as a World Observatory Event -
Synergies in Space, Time, and Wavelength

DATE: July 17-20, 2006

VENUE: Brussels, Belgium

SOC: Chris Sterken (chair)
       (to be completed/confirmed)

contacts: Ulli under hukaufl_at_eso.org or Chris csterken@vub.ac.be

LOC: Chris Sterken, Ulli Ka"ufl NN1 NN2 NN3

Workshop sponsored by the Vrije Univeriteit, Brussels and ESO

PURPOSE OF THE WORKSHOP:

In the context of NASA's Deep Impact space mission comet 9P/Tempel 1
has been at the focus of an unprecedented worldwide longterm
multiwavelength observation campaign. The comet has been studied
through its Perihelion passage by various spacecraft including the
Deep Impact mission itself, HST, Spitzer, XMM and all major
ground-based observatories in a wavelength band from cm-waves to
x-rays.

To make full use of this data set a workshop bringing together
observers across the electromagnetic spectrum and from different
sites and projects is considered of great importance. Synergy
between the different data sets can only be achieved, if observers
share their data and arrive at a coherent interpretation. A
coherent presentation of all data sets will allow theoreticians to
fully appreciate all observational constraints.

Specific topics of this workshop could be:
- From Space & Ground: The cometary nucleus
                       The cometary gas
                       The cometary plasma
                       The cometary dust
                       The comatary surface and its activity
- Did Deep Impact Release unprocessed primordial material from the
  formation period of the comet?
- Are there long-term effects from the impact?
- Is there a better understanding of global nucleus properties?
- What did we learn on the surface layering of the cometary nucleus?
- What did we learn on impact cratering?
- Do we understand photo-ionisation and photo-dissociation
   processes