[meteorite-list] Ben Guerir TKW and TAW

From: Martin H. <planetwhy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 8 08:55:24 2005

Hi All,

The concept of TAW (total available weight) is the
third iteration of TKW (total known weight). The two
previous directions were made independent of each
other, but essentially came to the same conclusion. I
came up with the concept of eTKW or effective total
weight for my Accretion Desk article in June of 2004.
Here is the link:

http://www.meteoritetimes.com/Back_Links/2004/June/Accretion_Desk.htm

I based the eTKW concept on population dynamics of
animals where, say like the grizzlies in Yellowstone
National Park, there might be a known number of bears,
but situation dictates that the population in the Park
behaves as if a much lower number. So eTKW reflects
when there might be a large quantity of the material
that fell, but due to some circumstances, the actual
amount of material available in separate pieces may be
extremely low. Major examples include the Willamette
and Hoba irons.

Another take on the issue is with Kevin K.?s TRW or
total repository weight. In this method, one simply
adds up the weight of material published in collection
catalogs, or as listed in the Catalogue (British).
Kevin wrote about this in his book and in Meteorite
Magazine. This number gains great importance when much
of the original mass has been lost over time.

So the TAW is yet another attempt to quantify the
material in a way useful beyond the general statistics
of the discovery.

Anyone else want to take a stab at this issue?

Cheers,

Martin