[meteorite-list] Re: New Orleans

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 5 05:01:26 2005

Hello Michael,

Great to know that even with the delete key, you stuck that foot in the
mouth. Actually, your reply was perfectly understandable so I am sure you are
the only one worried by now. The American Red Cross does have the specific
agenda to help in crises for the purpose of helping. When a group of people get
together like the meteorite list it is a fairly good generic choice unless
one of the main benefactors has a big preference - in which case they should
have some liberties! e.g., Perhaps someone could afford to add to the raffle
something substantial and request that 10% of the take go to the Samaritans.

A little internet surfing seems to show the Evangelical Christian
organization you propose indeed is quite efficient. Furthermore, spiritual need may
not be addressed by the Red Cross (the cross is not a religious symbol). In the
Deep South bible belt hit area, the organization you propose can probably
help a lot, as could any donation to a trustworthy church group for the p
articular faith demographics of that region. So I think you are right that
especially for folks wishing to augment the relief effort with Jesus and $15
Bibles will have an efficient way to do this. It is a perfect suggestion for
individual contributions for those wishing for a healthy mixture of physical and
religious healing, much of which will go through local churches, which are
mostly volunteer (hence, able to beat the Am. Red Cross on overhead, BTW, the
Red Cross has collected over $310 million for Katrina, so if they waste waste
$5 million, that still leaves over 98.4%). I hope listmembers individually
do boldly use the faith included option if they can help a little more to
raise the spirits amid the devastation in the land of Jazz and Gospel songs. I
would venture that the Red Cross is a great choice if the major contributors
have no second thoughts. I don't think Michael was suggesting a change in the
Meteorite Community Collective effort earmarking of funds, I could be
mistaken, at this point the joint work of the organizers and participants in this
project are superbly on track in my opinion, and there won't ever be enough.

Here are the quotes I lifted from the website you provided:

Samaritan's Purse is a Christian organization committed to spreading the
Good News of Jesus Christ through emergency relief and evangelism. All employees
must adhere to our Statement of Faith.

Samaritan's Purse is working in partnership with local churches to ensure
that spiritual needs are met, too. Our teams share the love of Jesus Christ,
pray with residents, and present them with a Bible when the work is completed.

Here are some ways your gift can help victims of Hurricane Katrina:

$9 can provide a case of drinking water
$15 can purchase a Bible for a hurting family
$25 can furnish a sheet of roofing plywood
$90 can provide enough heavy-duty plastic to weatherproof a roof

Saludos, Doug

==================================
Michael B. wrote:
I hope Geoff, Paul & Jim all accept my sincere apology.
I made the previous post prior to reading they had
proposed very generous acts of charity via the Red Cross.
These are 3 of the finest people I know and I would have
worded my post differently had I been aware of their acts
of kindness.
I most certainly did not mean to dampen any enthusiasm
or in any way diminish the meaningfulness of their actions.
Now that I have crammed my foot down my mouth and
it is up to the knee, I humbly do suggest a different method
of help that will result in getting "more bang for the buck" to
the people who most need it..... but I am sorry for the lack of
tact due to my ignorance of previous actions taken.
When I get back from being away from my computer,
I tend to respond to posts in the order they came in - not
always the best, as this case so aptly demonstrates.
Sorry, guys.
Michael