[meteorite-list] Meteorites carved by the Inca?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 21 18:24:49 2005

Anyone know more details about these "meteorites that the Incas had carved on"?

I've found mention of meteorites found in Inca tombs, but no mention of carvings.

http://www.theunion.com/article/20051019/NEWS/51019001

Worker laments loss of history

The way Alex Mendibles figures it, a lot of history went up in flames when the family business was
burned out in Auburn's Old Town Tuesday.

The American River Mercantile Building which housed the family's American River Traders store and
several others, was built in the 1850s and embodies the Old West. It was filled with artifacts from
all over the world.

"We had an Iroquois chief's hat from the 1700s, " Mandibles said. "There was a bonnet from the
1800s," from the shop that specializes in Native American Indian products and artifacts but also
sells things from around the world.

"There was lots of old stuff that museums would die for," Mandibles said. "We had stuff from China
and Africa and the Amazon and we traveled to the countries to get it."

There was also a black rhino shield from Mongolia and meteorites that the Incas had carved on.

"It's gone, there's nothing there anymore," Mandibles said. "We can rebuild it, we will survive."

Mandibles said family members help out with the store periodically but it is owned by his cousin,
Lisa Railsback. "She's in shock," he said.

"Nobody's hurt, that's the important thing," Mandibles said. "It's a complete loss."

To contact senior staff writer Dave Moller, e-mail davem_at_theunion.com or call 530-477-4237.