[meteorite-list] meteorite cutting loss and polishing loss

From: Marcin Cimala <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 29 19:15:46 2005

> I don`t recall if this has ever been discussed.
> Cutting loss of a meteorite is an important factor
> when considering if one should cut a meteorite.
> Has anyone made a table of % of loss based upon
> blade size and specific gravity of meteorites?

Hi
In my experiences cut looses is beetween 10-20%.
I use 10cm/0.2mm and 15cm/0.3mm blades. This cut loses covers also grinding
and polishing to remove cut marks.
Cutting for 1mm slices take around 20% cut loses with polishing.

> If you estimate the loss in advance you can also
> determine IF the cutter you choose is honest and is
> not pocketing some of your precious rock for his/her
> collection or sale.

its easy to check if You have all slices.
Just put them together like puzzles.
endpiece, then small slice, then bigger , bigger .... smaller, endpiece.
Meteorite slices cut with thin blade have for example the same chondrule on
botch slices from the same side. So if one slice will be missing Your
puzzles will be not completed and You can find this. If this is L6 so You
can look for the same inclusions in the same place or other unique things
that shown only on 2 similar slices.

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195