[meteorite-list] Great Stuff!

From: Gene Dees <recon_jones_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 15 21:54:06 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael L Blood" <mlblood_at_cox.net>
"hors d'oeuvres" even though I was a bad boy - but
my ONE excuse is that it IS a meteorite article!

Michael,
    Don't feel bad about the horse ovaries. I had the same problem ...
couldn't get it even close enough for the spell checker ... so I finally
remembered it was a two-part word and the first part was "hors". The rest
was easy.
    OK ... I have to mention meteorites. I mention them all the time on my
Great Dane list and my Chihuahua list but they don't mind ... mostly because
I own the lists! Being a dictator has its good moments!
    When I lived in the East Mountain area east of Albuquerque, the dark
skies and altitude made for a great observing site ... like my front yard.
    One night around 1 AM, Mountain Time, I was looking for meteors to the
north of my location. For the last 4 nights and within 2 minutes either
side of 1 AM, there would be a small green meteor trail from south to north.
This night, I had another one but it disappeared behind some clouds due
north of me ... then re-appeared briefly below the cloud then I lost it.
    Figuring the distance as best I could with only one sighting, I figured
it came down 2-to-3 miles north of me and was probably quite small in size.
I sure wish I could have found that one or at least had a second sighting on
it so I could get a loose fix and verify that I did, indeed, see it
penetrate the cloud and come out the bottom. That would have been
something, indeed ... but, alas! Maybe next time?
    Now I live down 4,000 feet lower and the city lights of Albuquerque
pretty much mess up the unique observing I used to enjoy at altitude ...
but, thanks to heart trouble and several operations, I can no longer breathe
well at 7,500+ feet with my oxygen tank.
    My life used to be much more interesting than this ... so please bear
with me.

gene a dees
Albuquerque, New Mexico
USA