[meteorite-list] Re: Vugs in Chondrite meteorites

From: Kevin Forbes <vk3ukf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Nov 14 06:44:34 2005

Hmm, the reasons could be, anything you or I or another learned person might
care to suggest. It may even be a combination of causes, ranging from,
another secondary basaltic flow of material, heating underlying layers, a
whopping huge impact on the material from an impacting meteoroid, a series
of rather close calls to our Sun, during its travels in space. If it's from
Venus, perhaps just sitting on the surface would leech out any low temp
minerals, after reading about the sulphide snows on the mountain tops there.
The alterations may also be due to a sustained period of time on Earth, with
water leeching out soluble minerals, after being rained on many times.

Anyone else care to add to the reasons for alteration and metamorphism in
meteorites, folks?

Kevin.