[meteorite-list] Re: Sikhote Question, Impact Pits, Oriented Campo

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 5 21:34:00 2005

G'day Geoff and all,

I have found this to be a particularly interesting subject over the past
couple of years after I purchased a fascinating 32.8g individual and as more
of these specimens have come to light. I too arrived at a similar conclusion
to yourself.

http://www.meteorites.com.au/features/funkysa.html

I don't necessarily agree with the theory that these features were created
by in falling pieces on the ground as the size of the impactors required for
a small impact pit (~<20mm) would have reached terminal velocity WAY before
they reached the ground. I believed that they were created when the SA main
body was detonating during flight and at that point would have been spraying
small pieces everywhere like bullets. I guess this theory may also extend to
large individuals exploding and spraying small pieces on the ground around
craters.

However, I found that about 90%+ of all the SA's I've seen showing this
feature are oriented in some form with the pit on (or around) the trailing
edge. This makes me think the mid-air theory slightly more likely. I was
talking with someone who does ballistic calculations on what the figures for
an iron-iron impact pit would be but they never got back to me. Maybe
someone on this list can do the calculations or know someone that could?

Just my thoughts,

Jeff Kuyken
I.M.C.A. #3085
www.meteorites.com.au