[meteorite-list] Laurencite disease?

From: Tom Knudson <peregrineflier_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 28 21:56:36 2005

Hi Bill, I live in Arizona too. I know this sounds weird, but I kept my
meteorites in a sealed container with an anti-rust thing, I think it was VCI
or something like that and still had rust problems. I gave up and just
through my whole collection on a shelf, out in the open air and have not
seen a bit of rust on anything! For a while I even had them above my fish
tank with out a problem.
   I think the simple approach works as good as any. It seems like they
need circulating air and some humidity. Keep in mind, we are in AZ, I
would not think this would work everywhere.
  I cut my meteorites, rinse them in tap water, soak them in alcohol for a
few minutes and set them out in the (AZ) sun or under the heat lamp of my
girls Monitor lizard then throw them on the shelve, not one problem at all,
go figure!
Thanks, Tom
peregrineflier <><