[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunting in Oman

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 13 14:06:36 2005

Sorry if this is a double post, my first did not seem to go through.

Dear Rob, R?gis, Michel and List,

I agree that if there are legal issues involved with meteorite hunting in
certain areas, it should be brought up publicly instead of the
cloak-and-dagger secrecy. My only problem is with accurate information. I
have heard so many rumors in regards to the Oman thing that it is hard to
sort out fact from fiction. I will list what I believe to be facts first:

Permits are required to hunt for meteorites in Oman. Only one permit was
ever issued to the Swiss. Here is an article that states the Swiss got the
permit:
http://uanews.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/UANews.woa/wa/MainStoryDetails?ArticleID=9476

Although a permit was issued, it does not guarantee any type of ownership.
Just like in the United States, You may get a permit to work an
archeological dig but what is brought out doesn't belong to you.

The government of Oman's view is that all meteorites found in Oman
regardless of whether found under a permit or not are the property of the
Sultanate of Oman. The only exceptions are type specimens for study. It
appears Dr. Larry Taylor of the University of Tennessee has an agreement
with Oman. Here are a few references that can be found online:
http://dailybeacon.utk.edu/issues/v97/n46/10.21-1.pdf#search='Larry%20Taylor%20meteorite'
http://pr.tennessee.edu/alumnus/alumarticle.asp?id=553
http://pr.tennessee.edu/torch/article.asp?id=710

The charges I heard were the following:

1.) Falsifying a visa in order to gain access to Oman. The stated purpose
for entry into the country was listed on their visas as tourism instead of
meteorite hunting.

2.) Possession of illegal electronics equipment like two way communications,
metal detectors and GPS.

3.) The theft of state property.

Maybe other List members in the know can comment on what is fact or fiction
in regards to meteorite hunting in Oman.

Kind Regards,

Adam