[meteorite-list] Kansas Legal Debate: Creation, Evolution and Intelligent Design

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 13 13:27:04 2005

Howdy

   There is drastic, deep and fundamental conflict between evolution and
intelligent design. To be brief, intelligent design requires the
magical intervention of a deity. That's exactly what it is - magic.
It has no place in a science class.
   Evolution will probably never be proven. In order to be proven and
become a Law, it must be shown that it is the fundamental mechanism at
work in all instances of the origin of life. That is a titanic task
that will probably never be satisfactorily performed. That's okay,
actually - gravitation is still the "theory of gravity", not the Law of
Gravity. ...and yet none of us go floating off into the sky.
   Here's a concept that never seems to make it into discussion -
arrogance. Evolution contains many portions that we do not fully
understand, such as whether proteins or DNA-like informational polymers
were the first to arrive. This is a chicken-or-egg argument that we
simply don't know enough about right now to answer. This simple
comment - that we don't know - is a statement of humility. Intelligent
design promoters claim to KNOW how life arose - this is a statement of
monumental arrogance. Now, from a religious point of view, are we not
supposed to be humble in the face of god's creation? No matter what
faith one chooses to follow, I find this to be an interesting argument
because in this light evolution is actually the more spiritually
enlightened choice.

   Something to think about.

Cheers,
MDF

p.s. And the Scopes Monkey Trial occurred in Tennessee, not Kansas.

--
Marc Fries
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Carnegie Institution of Washington
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Rd. NW
Washington, DC 20015
PH:  202 478 7970
FAX: 202 478 8901
-----
I urge you to show your support to American servicemen and servicewomen
currently serving in harm's way by donating items they personally request
at:
http://www.anysoldier.com
(This is not an endorsement by the Geophysical Laboratory or the Carnegie
Institution.)