[meteorite-list] Looking for Buried Iron-Shale with a Metal Detector

From: dfreeman_at_fascination.com <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 13 00:28:50 2005

Dear Paul,
You are asking a question that has no exact anxwers. Totally depends on
the amount of iron in the shale, the moisture in the ground, the back
ground iron in the soils, the strength of the detector, the abilities of
the swinger, and LUCK. ....wouldn't bet my life on any of these variables.
Dave F.

> Dear list members,
>
> If by some chance I had a hunch where I might
> find some buried iron-shale, is it possible to find
> highly weathered meteorite (iron-shale) with a
> metal detector?
>
> If so, what is the approximate relationship between
> size of a piece of iron-shale and the maximum depth
> at which it can be detected? Also, are there any
> special tricks to using a metal detector to look for
> buried iron-shale?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul
> Baton Rouge, LA
>

> Discover Yahoo!
> Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it out!
> http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html

Dave Freeman
eBay ID mjwy
IMCA #3864
Millennium Jade of Wyoming
stromatolites, fossil wood, jade
Wyoming Meteorite Recovery Team Leader
Estate Appraisals, specimen/meteorite identification
Rock Springs, Wyoming USA
82901